Friendship Day 2019 | The International Day of Friendships is also known as World Friendship Day or International Friendship Day, or simply, Friendship Day. Observed by the United Nations, World Friendship Day is celebrated globally on 30 July every year. However, several countries, including India, bring in the day on dates of their own. In India, Friendship Day is celebrated on the first Sunday of August month each year and thus, Friendship Day in Indian falls on 4 August 2019 this year. Just like we have days dedicated specifically to our mothers, fathers, teachers, siblings, the UN observes this day to promote friendships all over the world. As the special day is around the corner, we have curated a list of special messages, gift ideas and even movies you can watch to celebrate Friendship Day with your friends.
But before we proceed, let’s take a look at the history of Friendship Day. How did Friendship Day begin?
Dr. Ramon Artemio Bracho first came up with the concept of World Friendship Day in 1958. The idea came to him while he was dining with his friends in Puerto Pinasco in Paraguay. This memorable supper further snowballed into the birth of World Friendship Crusade – a foundation that fosters friendship among all human beings regardless of their caste, creed, race, religion, ethnicity.
Many even believe that Hallmark Greeting cards’ founder Joyce Hall proposed the term first in 1930. For decades now, people all over the globe celebrate International Day of Friendship with great joy and harmony. In India, Nepal, Bangladesh, and a few South American countries, people celebrate gift each other colourful friendship bands and flowers on Friendship Day. Although not a public holiday, Friendship Day is very much an annual affair.
Whatsapp messages and quotes to send to your friends on Friendship Day:
It may not always be possible that your close friends will be by your side on Friendship Day. Worry not, share these heart-warming messages and quotes with your BFF over WhatsApp or social media to express your love.
1. You can always tell a real friend: when you’ve made a fool of yourself he doesn’t feel you’ve done a permanent job
2. Best friends are like stars… You don’t always see them but you know they are always there. Happy Friendship Day!
3. It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.
4. A simple friend thinks the friendship over when you have an argument. A real friend knows that it’s not a friendship until after you’ve had a fight.
5. Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
6. If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn’t jump with them, I would be at the bottom to catch them. Happy Friendship Day.
7. A good friend is like a computer; me ‘enter’ ur life, ‘save’ u in my heart, ‘format’ ur problems, ‘shift’ u 2 opportunities & never ‘delete’ u from my memory!
Gift Ideas for Friendship Day:
1. Makeup kit: Any makeup addict can swear, there just aren’t enough items in the pouch. Look for what your bestie is missing, and gift her that. Needless to mention, she will be over the moon!
2. Portable speakers: Ain’t no party without speakers?! You can select from a wide range available online and in stores and gift one according to your budget.
3. Spa session: Nothing can relieve your BFF of the tension quite like a soothing spa session. If not, a relaxing body massage or manicure-pedicure session or even getting nails done together is pretty much fun!
4. Polaroid Camera: Capture memories on the go! In the world of Instagram, be a polaroid. Besides, you can even make a DIY with polaroids.
5. V..V…Vacation: Make the most of Friendship Day weekend and whisk your best friend away for some fun-filled time together.
Hindi Movies to watch on Friendship Day:
1. Veere Di Wedding – Kareena Kapoor Khan-Sonam Kapoor Ahuja-Swara Bhasker-Shikha Talsania’s 2018 blockbuster is the perfect watch for an all-girls pajama party!
2. Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander – Relive the magic of the era gone by and cherish your moments from the past with Aamir Khan’s classic hit.
3. Desi Boyz – A relevant, romantic comedy, let’s see how much of a Rocco and Hunter are you in real life?
4. Haathi Mere Saathi – Who said an animal can never be a best friend? Speak of a wild BFF.
5. Golmaal – There are several types of friends, but the likes of Gopal, Madhav, Lucky and Laxman are rare to find.
Check out more movies to binge-watch with your besties on Friendship Day 2019 only on ZEE5.